birding-aus

Re: coxen's fig parrot

To: Laurindo Garcia <>
Subject: Re: coxen's fig parrot
From: moris <>
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 1998 22:20:44 +1100
Laurindo Garcia wrote:

> It was suggested that I contact you for some information.  I'm doing a
> uni. assignment on this endangered species and require information to
> compile conservation strategies.  Any info? Already have the SMH
> article.
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Laurindo
Dear Laurindo,

The following is a reply to your enquiry about Coxen's Fig-Parrot as it
relates to NSW.

The NSW Ornithological Records Appraisal Committee has reviewed the
status of the Coxen's Fig Parrot in NSW and accepts 7 confirmed records
for the period 1900-1981 as per Morris, McGill & Holmes 1981 (Dubbo,
NSWFOC)
" ?Rare. ?Resident
Northern Rivers and Tableland. Recent records only at Koreela Range 1962
(Emu 63:404) and 1976 (Aust. Birds 11:81) and Murwillumbah in 1960s
(Forshaw 1969 Australian Parrots pp 118). Several specimens collected
near Lismore late 1800s. Also reported formerly at Upper Macleay River
(Emu 28:111). Mainly subtropical rainforests, particularly at fruiting
trees (e.g. Ficus, Elaeocarpus)."

Since 1981 there have been 7 records as follows:

1. May 1987 at Boonah. Glenn Holmes "The  Bird Observer" 1987 No.
669:111
2. 26 July 1991 2 at Brunswick Heads. Record accepted by NSWORAC Case
No.92 Aust. Birds 27: 146
3. 16-23 April 1992 Huonbrook, 2 feeding in Blue Quondong. Record not
accepted by NSWORAC. Case No. 141 Aust. Birds 30: 1-13
4. 15 May 1992 2 Beaury SF Urbenville. Case not confirmed by NSWORAC
due     to no submission. Aust Birds 27:119
5. 15 September 1993 heard calling Big Scrub Flora Reserve, Dunoon.
record not confirmed by NSWORAC due to no submission. Wingspan          12:32.
6. 21 January 1994, 2 Cambridge Plateau, Richmond Range SF heard but
only silouette seen. Record not accepted by NSWORAC Case No 146         Aust.
Birds 29: 88.
7. April 1995, 2 in Moreton bay Fig near Clunes. Record not confirmed
by      NSWORAC as no submission received. Aust. Birding 6:95.

It is the view of the NSWORAC that for such a rare bird, one on the
Vulnerable Schedule of the NSW Threatened Species Conservation Act and
for which there were only 8 acceptable records for NSW up to 1990 when
the Committee came into operation, that it is reasonable that when
people claim to have seen the bird, a full written description should be
submitted for independant review.

Copies of the three decisons of the Committee are available.

Alan K. Morris
Secretary to the Committee 1990-1997