birding-aus

Re:It's time to join the fun

To: "ozbird" <>
Subject: Re:It's time to join the fun
From: "Susan Myers" <>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 19:22:00 +1100
> For best tails I'll vote for the male Golden-headed Cisticola during the
> breeding season.  There's nothing quite like it.
Yes, you're absolutely right Jim,in an understated way they have great
tails but if you're going for the spectacular look then you can't go past a
 (male) Twelve-wired Bird of Paradise, whose tail consists of a huge plume
of fluffy, pale yellow feathers with twelve 'wires' that protrude from the
base and curl up the back to about the level of his neck! And to satisfy
Mauro's quackings, the male habitually flies to the top of a favourite
tall, dead tree of a very early morning where he displays his glorious tail
in a shimmering dance for all the females to see. Apparently, the female
chooses the bloke with the most accomplished show & impressive tail on the
basis that, if he can afford to have such flashy accoutrements, he must
very good at obtaining food & fighting off rivals and therefore have a
pretty good set of genes. No THAT'S impressive!

Susan Myers
phone: +61 3 9819 2539
Email:Susan Myers
Susan Myers