birding-aus

Favourites

To: <>
Subject: Favourites
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:27:09 +1030
The various letters re favourite birds etc have been fascinating.
Can I enter in the fun and add my list:

1. Tawny Frogmouth - despite having woken us up before dawn by calling
above our tent at Hattah NP

2. Major Mitchell's Cockatoo - what stunning colours set against pine trees
at Hattah.

3. Peaceful Dove - such soft, beautiful markings and a delightful call

4. White Browed Babbler - for their clowning around the bushes in our
garden

5. White Winged Chough - for the fascinating way they use their beaks to
rake the ground. I also love hearing their mournful cry ringing through the
mallee areas around here

6. Red Capped Robin - an absolute stunner - especially when sitting in the
sun

7. White-Winged Fairy-Wren - can any bird be bluer in full sunlight?

8. Rainbow Bee-eater - I have loved this beautiful bird ever since I first
watched it nesting when I was about 8 years old (I grew up in the Murray
Mallee of SA near Loxton)

As others have found - to restrict one's list to 8 is really hard - and
does an injustice to so many of our wonderful birds.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge SA