birding-aus

Most beautiful birds

To: <>
Subject: Most beautiful birds
From: "Trevor Hampel" <>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 21:52:53 +1030
Here is my list of the most beautiful Australian birds that I have seen:

1. Azure Kingfisher - I nearly drove off the road when I first saw this
species as it flew across the road just metres in front of my car

2. Major Mitchell's Cockatoo - that pink would have to be one of the
loveliest colours in the whole of bird-dom

3. Regent Parrot - these stunning parrots are one of my enduring memories
of Hattah NP - and why I keep on returning there

4. Peaceful Dove - so aptly named - so peaceful in call and in habits - but
stunning up close with such delicate markings.

5. Superb Fairy-Wren - such an endearing species as they take over picnic
tables throughout their range - what wonderful ambassadors for our
wonderful fauna

6. Spotted Harrier - the markings - especially underwing - are by far the
most attractive amongst the Australian raptors. This species is especially
dear to me because several years ago my wife made a plain jumper and
engaged an artist to paint a Spotted Harrier - wings outspread - on the
front. I wear it proudly. What a wonderful surprise birthday present!

7. Crimson Chat - I've only seen this on a handful of occasions - all of
them memorable for sheer brilliance of colour.

8. Diamond Firetail  - which just edges out Rainbow Bee-eater, Bourke's
Parrot, Red Necked Avocet, Crested Pigeon (up close), Galah (in certain
light conditions), Rainbow Lorikeet, Crimson Rosella, Blue-Winged Parrot,
Splendid Fairy-Wren, Golden Whistler, Rufous Fantail and the White-Browed
Woodswallow.

Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge SA