birding-aus

faves

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: faves
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 12:51:47 +1000
> From:         Osborn, Paul PR[SMTP:
>
> In the process of compiling a list the same size as Lorne's (8
> species) I came up with a short list of 25,  <snip> For what it's
> worth, here are my best 8 aussie birds, at the moment, ask me again in
> twelve months and I'm sure it would be different.

I think I'd have a different 8 each time asked, depending a bit on where
I'd been lately, or where I was dreaming about going.  I'll try for this
week's 8, in random order:

*       Painted Honeyeater
*       Southern Scrub-robin
*       Masked Owl
*       Australian Owlet-nightjar
*       Lesser Sooty Owl
*       Rufous Treecreeper
*       Paradise Riflebird
*       Chowchilla

Lots of passerines on my top 50 or so this was culled from - a bit of a
nocturnal fetish and two from one genus (Tyto) - but moderately
geographically balanced!  A second eight I hear you ask???

*       Diamond Firetail
*       Black Falcon
*       Grey Falcon
*       White-throated Nightjar
*       Red-capped Robin
*       Pied Butcherbird
*       Red-necked Avocet
*       Gilbert's Whistler

and why not a top 8 from elsewhere, just to take up extra bandwidth:

*       Tui
*       Rhinoceros Hornbill
*       Pale Blue Flycatcher
*       Ashy Drongo
*       Crimson Sunbird
*       Sunda Minivet
*       Coppersmith Barbet
*       Sunda Coucal

Lawrie Conole
Painted Honeyeater Project
58 Holden Street, Fitzroy North 3068 Victoria, AUSTRALIA
Phone AH (03) 9486 4575
Ph Mob (0419) 588 993
Email <>