birding-aus

Re: red-browed finch

To: Robert Davis <>
Subject: Re: red-browed finch
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 15:54:20 +1000
Robert

I looked this up in John Long's 1981 "Introduced Birds of the Word"
and  found the following:

"...was found to be well established in orchard clearings in the Darling
Range, east of Perth in 1958 (Dell 1965). They occupied a small area
there for some years but are now reported to be relatively scarce."

No doubt someone else will give more recent info

Peter

At 11:59 13/03/98, you wrote:
>Hi All!
>
>I have an enquiry about red-browed finches in WA (not about Poms!).
>
>Perhaps someone out there (esp. Frank O'Connor or Allan Burbidge?) can tell
>me when and how the red-browed finch was introduced into the Darling Ranges
>around Perth, Western Australia. I have a friend who lives in Kalamunda who
>frequently gets them in his garden, and we were wondering how long the
>population has been established, and what its viability/range is?
>
>Can anyone help with this enquiry?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Robert Davis.

Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Vet Pathology & Anatomy
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072             WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)