birding-aus

Re: pathetic story

Subject: Re: pathetic story
From: Bonnie Oliver <>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 12:38:56 +0200
>Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 09:57:42 +0200
>To:  (John Leonard)
>From: Bonnie Oliver <>
>Subject: Re: pathetic story
>
>Dear John,
>
>I have a similar sad stories to tell concerning Galahs.
>
>During the time my husband and I were living on a farm in Box Hill, NSW,
we saw Galahs behave in the same manner you have described below.  On one
occasion, a Galah was hit by a car at the front of our house.  The entire
small flock that he had been flying with perched on utility wires above the
road and called frantically to their mate, while several others stood at
his side screaming and nudging.  On another sad occasion, a Galah turned up
in our yard with a broken back.  She could fly for short distances, but she
couldn't hold herself upright on the ground.  We, again, witnessed what I
have described above.  I took the bird to a WIRES vet who had an office
nearby and this is how we came to know that her back was broken.