birding-aus

re: Yellow Wagtails

Subject: re: Yellow Wagtails
From: "Niven McCrie" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 1998 19:33:16 +0000
It may be just a coincidence, but the reports of wags near Sydney
are at a time when they are more abundant in Darwin than I've ever
seen. In excess of 100 are at the sewage works at the moment. All
birds scrutinised (and that's most of them) are also simillina!
Previous high counts have been 72 (April 1993?) and 45 (December
1988?). Most years 20 - 30 are 'good numbers'.
A Grey Wagtail was reported yesterday after no sightings for a week.
The stream where the Greys were is now rather overrun with Yellows.
The Black-headed Gull has not been seen again either, despite
considerable effort on the part of a number of observers.
Little Kingfishers seem to be popping up everywhere (except wherever
I go - only other people are seeing them at the moment).
Cheers
Niven
Niven McCrie
P.O. Box 41382