birding-aus

Yellow wagtails

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Yellow wagtails
From: "Stuart, Alan AD" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 08:22:53 +1100
I saw two Yellow Wagtail on Ash Island yesterday evening, at almost the
exact spot described by Trevor Quested in his earlier message.  Both
birds were quite yellow.  They were feeding on the track, with some
White-fronted Chat and a Willie Wagtail.  There was a Reeve by the
water's edge at the exact same spot - I got two ticks in less than a
minute.

The track on Ash Island is very wet, and the "rut filled with water"
that Trevor mentioned, was an interesting crossing in a 2WD.  As well as
being deep, it also was flowing, with quite a strong current.

As for birds being suppressed from the Hunter, no one I've yet spoken
with knew anything about these birds being on Ash Island, and there has
been a minor flurry of activity to go out for a sighting of them.

Provided that a bird's welfare will not be jeopardised,  it seems to me
that it does no harm to tell others about it.

Alan Stuart