birding-aus

Re: Avian cane toad predators

Subject: Re: Avian cane toad predators
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 22:59:11 +1100 (EST)
On Fri, 9 Jan 1998, chris dahlberg wrote:
> A list of cane toad predators appeared on birding-aus a short time ago. Did
> it include Bush Stone-curlews? Last night, during an infrequent break in the
> rain I tracked a BSC with some prey which it dropped. On inspection it was
> found to be a small cane toad.

HANZAB has a ref to Cane Toads being found in Bush Stone-curlew stomach
contents at Mackay in Queensland.  Various frogs are also mentioned.

Let me repeat a plea, I'm keen to get any other observations of bird-cane
toad interactions.  My interest is determining what birds might be
posstively/negatively affected as cane toasd invade the NT.

While I'm begging, I'm desperate to get a tape of the call of
the Floodplains Frog (Litoria dahlii).  This frog is widespread and
abundant in Northern Australia. However, few frog experts have even
heard it call and no one seems to have  taped its call.

Is there a bird sound recordist out there with a sideline in frogs
who has a tape of this frog?

For those wondering, Litoria dahlii is abundant at accessible locations
like Fogg Dam but it perhaps calls only with the first big rains of the
wet and no frog recordist seems to have been around at the right time.

Almost all Australian frog species including rare and remote species have
been taped because calls are a vital element in their study so its
unusual that an abundant accessible species has not been taped.

Andrew Taylor