birding-aus

Paradise Parrots

Subject: Paradise Parrots
From: John Penhallurick <>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 09:46:09 +1100
I sent some of this information to the birder who originally asked about
Paradise Parrots, but in view of the on-going thread, I thought I might have
my two cents' worth.

As is usual in such matters, we should ask Cui bono? which for those without
Latin means "Who benefits?".
The last time there was a beat-up in the media about Paradise Parrots, so
far back I can't remember precisely, it came out fairly clearly that rumors
of wild Paradise Parrots were being put around by certain unscrupulous
aviculturalists who were ripping off European aviculturalists by selling
them hybrids which they claimed to be Paradise Parrots.  The stories about
secret locations for wild Paradise Parrots were to lend credibility to the
claim that breeders could have specimens of a bird otherwise thought extinct.

So don't get your hopes up too much. I'm sure the bird has gone.

John Penhallurick
Associate Professor John M. Penhallurick<>
Canberra, Australia
Phone BH( 61 2) 6201 2346   AH (61 2) 62585428
FAX (61 2) 6258 0426
Snail Mail  Faculty of Communication
                University of Canberra,A.C.T.2601, AUSTRALIA
OR            PO Box 3469, BMDC, BELCONNEN, ACT 2617, AUSTRALIA

                "I'd rather be birding!"