birding-aus

TRIP TO BARRINGTON TOPS AREA 24-25th JANUARY 1998

To: "" <>
Subject: TRIP TO BARRINGTON TOPS AREA 24-25th JANUARY 1998
From: "Vella, Edwin" <>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 98 09:39:00 PST

TRIP TO BARRINGTON TOPS AREA 24-25th JANUARY 1998

For part of the Australia Day Long Weekend, I spent sometime birding in
the Barrington Tops Area just NW of Newcastle and approx. 300km north of

Sydney. I went with a local birding friend and met some others at
Glouster Tops last Saturday afternoon where we saw 3 Glossy
Black-Cockatoo's and also 3 Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo's, White-headed

Pigeon, Grey-crowned Babblers, Pied Butcherbirds and Forest Ravens. We
went up to the summit of the mountain at Glouster Tops to find the local

Rufous Scrub-birds, Olive Whistler's, Paradise Riflebirds, Sooty Owl and

other goodies but the weather was too wet and we had to unwillingly
retreat. I have seen all these birds however previously around this area.

 However, the next day the weather was good, and so was the birding at
nearby Copeland State Forest. Here we saw several Wompoo Fruit-doves, a

Topknot Pigeon, Wonga Pigeons,  2 Noisy Pittas, Varied Triller,
Red-browed Treecreeper aswell as Satin and beautiful Regent Bowerbirds.

We also heard Emerald Dove, White-headed Pigeon, Brown Cuckoo-doves,
Logrunner and Green Catbirds.

What was great to see, was the massive Fig Tree there (which towers high

above the Rainforest canopy) in full fruit with great views of the Fruit

Pigeons and bowerbirds feeding out in the open.

On our way back home we saw 2 pairs of Wedge-tailed Eagles soaring above

the road.

Edwin

P.S. Wasn't that show on Sunday night on Channel 2 about Eagles a master
piece. For those who did not see it, you really missed out on something
!!!