birding-aus

Re: Regent Honeyeater in Melbourne suburbs

To: <>
Subject: Re: Regent Honeyeater in Melbourne suburbs
From: "Susan Myers" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 19:07:57 +1100
> Any recent sightings to help fill out the story of this bird ? Perhaps
> it left after/during the storms on 12/1 ?

We (Stuart Dashper & I) went down the road to see it on Thursday 15 Jan. We
arrived at the spot about 1830 & looked around for about half an hour with
no sign of it. As we were about to give up (thinking that it may have
buggered orf after the thunder storm the previous evening) it flew in on
cue & sat at eye level in an Acacia giving quite loud contact calls &
foraging for insects most of the time we observed it. Stuart was able to
take a few photos, which hopefully will turn out ;-).
The area is quite birdy for a suburban park (Heidelberg, Melbourne). We
also observed Pallid Cuckoo being fed by Bell Miners, Peregrine Falcon,
Sacred Kingfisher, Red-browed Firetail as well as the usual Red-rumped
Parrots, Rainbow Lorikeets, Red Wattlebirds, etc.

Susan Myers
Email:Susan Myers