birding-aus

RE: Grey Falcon sighting.

To: "'Eric Hocking'" <>
Subject: RE: Grey Falcon sighting.
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 09:46:13 +1000
> Sunday the 28th Dec my partner and I went up to Malden in the
> Victorian spa
> country.  While I was fishing on the Lodden River (can be more
> specific if
> was to check a map) I disturbed a falcon.

I think I'm right in saying that there are the odd historical records
from the Maldon-Bendigo area of central Victoria.  There are certainly
records from the 1950s-60s as far south as the You Yangs near Port
Phillip Bay (between Melbourne and Geelong), including one of breeding I
seem to recall.  It is a very dry summer, so it is plausible to see a
Grey Falcon near Maldon - but still exceptional, so count yourself
lucky!

I've seen a few Grey Falcons in Victoria - all in the arid north-west of
the state (southern edge of the Big Desert, Hattah-Kulkyne,
Millewa/Lindsay Island), and near Alice Springs in the NT.  A pair
frequented an area south of Lindsay Island, between Mildura and Renmark,
for several years whilst I was doing a fauna survey up there.  They were
at time quite inquisitive, and offered some spectacular views as they
came in to see what we were doing.  A fabulous bird - the "Smoke Hawk".

Lawrie Conole
2/45 Virginia Street
Newtown 3220 Victoria
AUSTRALIA