birding-aus

Re: MAGPIE MIMICS OTHER BIRDS

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: MAGPIE MIMICS OTHER BIRDS
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 97 16:45:48 +1000
     To add my bit to the magpie mimicry files, my parents have been
     helping to support a pair of Magpies in Glen Iris, a Melbourne suburb
     about 12 km SE of the CBD, for many years.  In that time there have
     been (I think) two replacement males, and one replacement female - the
     original female lived for at least 17 years.  Mimicry has included
     Eastern Rosellas, Mynas, Blackbirds, Masked Lapwings, dogs barking and
     even a perfectly intelligible "Here, boy" followed by a whistle like
     someone calling a dog.  It's usually been delivered at low volume and
     in an absent-minded manner, as if the bird is thinking or something
     else - sort of vocal doodling?  All the sounds are local ones, but
I've never checked whether all the common local sounds are included.