birding-aus

New bird for N.Z?

Subject: New bird for N.Z?
From: Celia & Russell Browne <>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 1997 12:03:48 +1100
A BOCA friend passed to me a newspaper cutting from a Christchurch, New Zealand,
paper dated 18th November 1997.

Birding-aussers may be interested so I will reprint it in full, as follows:-

"NEW BIRD SPECIES ON CAMPBELLS.  Invercargill - An elated Department of
Conservation team arrived back in Bluff from the Campbell Islands yesterday
basking in glory after finding a new species of bird.

The snipe is the first new bird species discovered since 1930.

The team initially went to the outlying Jaquemart Island in search of the rare
flightless Campbell Island teal.

Team member Jeremy Carroll said one of the tracking dogs sniffed out another
type of bird during the search for the ducks.  The team made a positive sighting
and identified the bird as a new species of snipe.  About 10 birds were found.
NZPA."

Please don't direct any enquiries to me, as I know no more than the above!!!

Happy Christmas to everyone,  Celia M. Browne, North Balwyn, Vic.