birding-aus

Re: re Muller's lagoon Update 2

Subject: Re: re Muller's lagoon Update 2
From: "jon wren" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 22:19:01 PST
Thanks to all that provided information on the importance of verge
vegetation on waterholes, swamps etc. It is pleasing to note that at
todays Council Meeting the move by Cr W Bidgood to "clean up" Mullers
Lagoon was defeated. The Cr was reminded  that a management plan exists
for the Park with a recommendation from the previous Parks and Gardens
Director Vince Winkel ( Centennial Lakes Project Cairns fame) to retain
the verge vegetation to promote a suitable habitat for wildlife. I
recall Cr Frank Bidgood the father of Wayne back in 1992 wanting to
sub-divide a portion of Mullers Lagoon that was flood prone, this was
ultimately defeated but I expect that there must be some gene
responsible for their opposition to Mullers Lagoon providing good
habitat for wildlife
Great to know that a bank of information is available to access at your
fingertips. Have a safe and joyous festive season and get some great
birding done.

Jon Wren