birding-aus

[no subject]

From: Stephen Ambrose <>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 19:37:09 +1100
1997 AUSTRALIAN BIRD RESEARCH DIRECTORY
UPDATE 5

Greetings from icy-cold Germany where I will be for the next few weeks!

I have been unsuccessful, so far, in my attempts to download my Australian
home email while in Germany, as I originally planned. Fortunately, my
house-sitter, Susan, has been checking my email, collating the
contributions to the Directory, and then sending them onto me as a single
email message.

I am preparing this message based on the information Susan has sent to me
and, in turn, she will forward it onto you from my home address in
Melbourne. Thanks, Susan for coming to the rescue!

Please accept my apologies if there are delays or accidental omissions from
the list that have resulted from this roundabout way of keeping you up to
date.

Many thanks to all of you who contributed information this week, especially
overseas-based researchers. There are now 189 research project
descriptions. The following 81 individuals/groups had contributed to the
Research Directory by 6 p.m. Australian EST  (8 a.m. Frankfurt-time) on
Saturday, 6 December 1997:

Colin Bailey (University of Adelaide)
Barry Baker (Environment Australia)
Mark Barter (Australasian Wader Studies Group)
Andrew Bennett (Deakin University)
Steve Blaber (CSIRO)
Ray Brereton (Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service)
Belinda Brooker (Murdoch University)
Allan Burbidge (WA Department of Conservation and Land Management)
Andrew Burbidge (WA Department of Conservation & Land Management)
Peter Cale (CSIRO)
Belinda Cannell (Murdoch University)
Angela Chapman (University of Queensland)
Mike Clarke (La Trobe University)
Andrew Cockburn (Australian National University)
Brian Collins (Curtin University)
Ruth Coulson (University of Melbourne)
Alan Danks (WA Department of Conservation and Land Management)
Stephen Davies (Murdoch University)
Daniel Ebert (Australian National University)
Andrew Fisher (Charles Sturt University)
Clem Fisher (Liverpool Museum, United Kingdom)
Hugh Ford (University of New England)
Kristine French (University of Wollongong)
Cliff and Dawn Frith
Rosemary Gales (Tasmanian Parks and Wildlife Service)
David Goldney (Charles Sturt University)
Ronda Green (Griffith University)
Merrilyn Grey (La Trobe University)
Ian Gynther (Qld Department of Environment)
Michelle Hall (Australian National University)
Robert Heinsohn (Australian National University)
Robert Henriod (James Cook University)
Mark Hindell (University of Tasmania)
Cilla Kinross (Charles Sturt University)
Darryl Jones (Griffith University)
Leo Joseph (Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, USA)
Nicholas Klomp (Charles Sturt University)
Elsie Krebs (Australian National University)
Ashley Leedman (Australian National University)
David Lindenmayer (Australian National University)
Richard Major (Australian Museum)
Catherine Meathrel (La Trobe University)
Rob Magrath (Australian National University)
Graham Martin (University of Western Australia)
John Martindale (NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service)
Peter Mawson (WA Department of Conservation and Land Management)
Peter Menkhorst (Victorian Department of Conservation & Natural Resources)
Clive Minton (Victorian Wader Studies Group)
Rob Morrison (Flinders University)
Emma Moysey (La Trobe University)
Ursula Munro (Sydney University of Technology)
David Nicholls (Peninsula Institute of TAFE)
Richard Noske (Northern Territory University)
Martin O?Brien (Victorian Department of Natural Resources and Environment)
Damon Oliver (University of New England)
Penny Olsen (Australian National University)
Angela Paltridge (University of Adelaide)
Hugh Possingham (University of Adelaide)
David Priddel (NSW National Parks & Wildlife Service)
Raleigh Robertson (Queen?s University, Canada)
Shane Raidal (Murdoch University)
Graham Robertson (Australian Antarctic Division)
David Rounsevell (Queensland Department of Environment)
Ian Rowley and Eleanor Russell
Vi Saffer (Murdoch University)
Denis Saunders (CSIRO, Division of Wildlife and Ecology)
Dick Schodde (CSIRO, Division of Wildlife and Ecology)
Iain Taylor (Charles Sturt University)
Sarah Taylor (Charles Sturt University)
Ian Temby (Victorian Department of Natural Resources and Environment)
Chris Tidemann (Australian National University)
J. van Franeker (Institute for Forestry and Nature Research, The Netherlands)
Anne-Marie Wilson (University of Canberra)
Stephen Williams (James Cook University)
Phil Withers (University of Western Australia)
John Woinarski (Parks and Wildlife Commission of the Northern Territory)
Doug Watkins (Wetlands International Oceania)
Peter Woodall (University of Queensland)
Ron Wooller (Murdoch University)
Richard Zann (La Trobe University)
Stephen Ambrose (on behalf of all Birds Australia research officers)

The gaps in the Research Directory are gradually being filled. The order of
magnitude of responses on a State/Territory basis is: WA (15 responses,
18%), ACT (14 responses, 17%), Victoria (14 responses, 17%), NSW (13
5%), Tasmania (4 responses, 5%), and the Northern Territory (2 responses,
2%). There have also been 4 responses from overseas (4%).

The order of magnitude of responses on an institutional basis is:
universities (52 responses, 64%), State/Territory wildlife agencies (14
7%), community groups (4 responses, 5%), independent researchers (3

I?m still light on contributions from South Australia, Tasmania and the
Northern Territory. I also suspect that relevant ornithological work
conducted in overseas institutions, and some Australian government wildlife
agencies and museums are under-represented at the moment. I look forward to
filling these gaps soon.

Those of you who still intend to contribute to the Directory have until 5
January 1998 to do so. Please remember to present information under the
following headings:

1.  Project Title.
2.  Chief Investigators.
3.  Host Institution(s).
4.  Optional Project Description (up to 50 words).
5.  Time-scale (including starting and finishing dates).
6.  Funding Agency(ies).
7.  Contact Telephone Number.
8.  Contact Facsimile Number.
9.  Email Address.

Kind regards,
Stephen

Dr Stephen Ambrose
Research Manager

Birds Australia (Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union)
Australian Bird Research Centre
415 Riversdale Road,
Hawthorn East,
VIC   3123.

Tel:    +61 3 9882 2622
Fax:    +61 3 9882 2677
Email:
1996 Australian Bird Research Directory is on Birds Australia?s home page:
<http://www.vicnet.net.au/~birdsaus>.