FW: RFI - Melbourne/Weribee

To: "" <>
Subject: FW: RFI - Melbourne/Weribee
From: John Barkla <>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:52:00 +1100
Access to the Melbourne Water Western Treatment Plant at Werribee is 
by permit only.  Permits are readily obtainable either by writing to 
Melbourne Water at Private Bag 10, Werribee, Victoria 3030 or by 
telephone (03) 9742 9209.  The permit costs $20 and will be issued to 
you within a few days of your application providing details of your 
name and address, reason for permit application (birdwatching is 
readily accepted) and motor vehicle model, colour and registration 
details.  The permit includes a map showing details of all prohibited 
areas.  The map is useful in finding the key birding spots if you 
already have details of where these are.

The major difficulty once you have obtained your permit is to find 
your way around.  The Western Treatment Plant is a secured area - 
meaning you need a key to get through the many locked gates.  If you 
visit with a local birder who knows the area well, it is possible to 
get to the key birding spots without a key, but without local 
knowledge you can spend many hours driving around.  There are over 200 
kilometres of roads within the Western Treatment complex.  Local 
birders are able to obtain a key from the office by contacting 
Melbourne Water before their visit.  I doubt however that they would 
be prepared to provide you with a key if you had not visited Werribee 

The best option is usually to visit Werribee with someone who both 
knows the area and has a key.  I would normally be happy to help but 
on the weekends you will be in Melbourne I will be doing 
reconnaissance, for and participating in the Bird Observers Club of 
Australia Challenge Bird Count.

I hope this is of some help.  You could call me on (03) 9258 6837 (w) 
when you arrive and I can give you more detailed information.


John Barkla
From:  Jo Wieneke[SMTP:
Sent:  Monday, 24 November 1997 20:04
Cc:  John Barkla
Subject:  RFI - Melbourne/Weribee

I have a request on behalf of Helen and Hans Laue, birders from 
Canada who have been here for the last few months. They will be in 
from Dec 8-14th  and are interested in finding about places to go 
round Melbourne and they have of course heard of Werribee.  They'd 
like to
know if they need special permission to get in and if so how do they 
this. If anyone can help please reply direct to Hans  -


<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>

The University of NSW School of Computer and Engineering takes no responsibility for the contents of this archive. It is purely a compilation of material sent by many people to the birding-aus mailing list. It has not been checked for accuracy nor its content verified in any way. If you wish to get material removed from the archive or have other queries about the archive e-mail Andrew Taylor at this address: andrewt@cse.unsw.EDU.AU