birding-aus

Unusual birds at Gunnedah

Subject: Unusual birds at Gunnedah
From: Gunnedah Shire Council <>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:05:07 +1100
I would like to know if anyone has records of skylarks, long billed
corellas, forest kingfishers and (dare I say it) wandering albatrosses in
NW slopes and plains of NSW.

The albatross was reported to me by someone out at Boggabri at a large
cotton dam.   I have no idea of the person's knowledge of birds and I'm
inclined to think it may have been a sea eagle.   Does anyone know of an
inland sighting of albatrosses?   We are at least three hours from the
coast.   The person did say strong winds had been blowing at the time.

The same person reported a forest kingfisher at the dam.   Once again, I am
pretty doubtful.   I have seen sacreds around here which look a really deep
blue.

The other two sightings I have made myself.   The long billed corella was
in the company of four little corellas and has been around my house for a
few days.   I rarely see any corellas in our vicinity, so they were a
thrill.   I nearly fell over with shock when I clearly saw the long-billed
amongst them.   Maybe a cage escapee?   However Alan Morris did say they
are gradually spreading into NSW.   Has anyone else seen one in the
northern inland of NSW?

Finally - the skylark.  I've been walking through a barley crop in which
there have been lots of bushlarks and pipits.   On two occasions now I have
seen one bird with a distinct brown crest which it puts up  or down at
will.   It was amongst the bushlarks and I couldn't see anything else to
differentiate it.   None of them were doing their display flights either.
Do bushlarks ever have the appearance of a crest, or do we possibly have a
skylark?   The crop has now been harvested, so I doubt if the birds will be
there anymore.

I look forward to feedback - Annabel Hoskins