birding-aus

"native" animals

Subject: "native" animals
From: Harriette Phelps <>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 10:14:12 -0500
>Mallesons Stephen Jaques Solicitors
>Confidential communication
>
>The lawyer in me wonders "what is a native animal"?
>
>Is it:
>one that breeds here?
>one that occurs here naturally, ie is not introduced?
>one that occurs here on a regular basis?
>
>I might look up sometime if it has ever been considered by a court.  I
>doubt it.  What about Kookaburras and Lyrebirds in Tasmania that are
>introduced?  What about a relocated population of Noisy Scrubbirds?
>
>Murray Lord
>Solicitor
>Mallesons Stephen Jaques Sydney
>Direct line (61 2) 9296 2186
>Fax (61 2) 9296 3999

I can't say for Australia but in the US East Coast (MD), thanks to
introduced species a definition has had to be made for aquatics and it is
that any species population that has been found in a region for 10 years
(e.g. breeding there) is considered non-invasive and part of the local
fauna.

                        Cheers,         Harriette

Harriette L. Phelps
Department of Anatomy and Histology F13