birding-aus

Re: F O'C's response re spotlighting.

Subject: Re: F O'C's response re spotlighting.
From: (Australian Ornithological Services P.L.)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 15:00:46 +0000
Firstly I take exception to Tony Russell's apparent notion that Philip
Maher runs some sort of one man band. "A paying client of HIS in HIS
commercial operator capacity". Makes me wonder what I've been doing all
these years.

>I cannot agree that his past excellent contribution now makes his
>commercial activities acceptable.

Past, what's past? "his ...excellent contribution" is directly tied to
survey work and "commercial" spotlighting - both on going activities, often
run concurrently. There is nothing "past" about it.

"Commercial"  Note to myself-  ask my accountant or bank manager what
commercial  means.

My vegetarianism (17 yrs) on humanitarian grounds, and that I'm one of the
first of two  people awarded a Graduate Certificate of Applied Science in
Eco Tourism (Deakin University '95), perhaps suggests I'm unlikely to
condone cruelty or an unethical practice. Please Tony, don't suggest it's
for the money!

Tony has a perfect right to question any birding practice and I applaud
the fact that he cares about the welfare of birds - but in this case he is
wrong.

Patricia M Maher
Managing Director - Australian Ornithological Services P/L

>What I commented on was what I experienced as a paying client of his in his
>commercial operator capacity, and although I saw the PW's for the first(and
>probably last)time, I felt for the birds, and certainly wouldn't go again.

 at least,not in the way that I experienced them.And
>yes, of course the possibilty of running over birds is an emotive issue, but
>we can't just ignore it because it's emotive.
>
>e mail:

Patricia M Maher