birding-aus

seeing lyrebirds

Subject: seeing lyrebirds
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:53:30 +1100 (EST)
I must say that I have had very good views of both species, including parts
of the display of the Superb, BUT, these were always when I had gone
wherever for the purpose of seeing something else. No doubt if I went out
with the express purpose of seeing lyrebirds I wouldn't see a single one.

One occasion I remember was in September (I think) and in each of the three
national parks on Mt Tambourine, near Brisbane, I saw several juvenile
Albert's wandering around, quite tame and unconcerned.

As to whether running is a good idea I have heard it said that in New
Guinea, or SE Asia, to observe any birds at all in the rain forests its
necessary to walk through them at a brisk pace, if you stalk slowly the
birds will have heard you and slunk away long before. Perhaps Tony Palliser
or some other SE Asian expert could tell us whether this is true or not.

1.0a15