birding-aus

Tapes

To: <>
Subject: Tapes
From: "Tony Clarke" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:11:24 -0000
Hi everyone,

I would just like to make a few points to add to this topic. I must agree
that bird welfare must be foremost in our minds but what are the other
options. Surely it is better to try to tape out a certain rail or crake
than to have certain inconsiderate and selfish 'keen birders' tramping
through, and destroying, habitat in search of that special tick. Perhaps
this is one reason why the ABA (American) now allows people to count birds
that they have heard?

As regards whether or not taping harms a species is another topic but
certainly in the cases of some well known owl sites throughout the world
they can get taped out and no longer respond when tapes are used. Does this
mean that they can tell the difference between a tape and one of their own
species?

Now, what about some of those skulking species in the rainforests of the
world? Should tapes be used or would those against the use of tapes prefer
that people go back to using mist nets in order to find these elusive
species. My personal opinion is that less harm is done in trying to see a
bird using a tape than having it go through the stress of being taken from
a net.

I realise that there are some who will say that neither methods should be
used just to get a tick but in our modern world of bird tours and
competition listing there seems to be very little alternative. These
proceedures will continue and nobody can stop it so if you don't like using
tapes then don't but please before criticising those that do think of what
damage could be done without tapes!!!

Tony.

Tony Clarke
C/ República Dominicana, Nº 61,