birding-aus

Re: Garden Birds

Subject: Re: Garden Birds
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 16:43:42 +0800
The question was asked :

> Why does Harare have many native seed-eaters coming into the gardens,
> while very few of the Australian finches do?

Perhaps because very few Australian gardens have native seeds????

I am aware of the following finches that can be common (or at least
regular) in suitable gardens, although in some cases it is more for the
water than the seed.  In most cases, the houses border onto suitable native
vegetation.

Red-browed Finch - O'Reilly's Qld; Phillip Island Vic
Red-eared Firetail - Albany WA
Star Finch - Kununurra WA; Paraburdoo WA
Crimson Finch - Kununurra WA
Zebra Finch - many places
Double-barred Finch - Kununurra WA; Argyle Diamond Mine WA
Masked Finch - Lake Argyle WA
Long-tailed Finch - Lake Argyle WA
Chestnut-breasted Mannikin - Kununurra WA
Nutmeg Mannikin (introduced) - Cairns Qld
Gouldian Finch - Wyndham WA; Timber Creek NT