birding-aus

ROUND HILL TRIP

Subject: ROUND HILL TRIP
From: lorne <>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:31:39 +0000
G'day all... Lorne here...

My Round Hill sojourn was fantastic, although I didn't see ONE of the
mallee species I was hoping for. Even with the calls of the scrub-robin,
the whistlers, and the quail-thrush beaming from my car's tape deck,
they didn't appear! Oh well!

NEW BIRDS FOR ME...

1. Blue-billed Duck    ( 1, Gum Swamp, Forbes - first duck I saw through
binoculars!)
2. White-fronted Honeyeater   (Round Hill)
3. Spotted Nightjar  3 (Round Hill central - flew a few metres above my
head at one stage!)
4. Major Mitchell Cockatoo  2 (Mt. Hope - Euabalong Rd.)

Apart from these I found the following at Round Hill... Splendid Wren,
Red-capped Robin (which came close to the car when I was playing the
taped calls!), Western gerygone, White-winged Triller, Crested Bellbird,
Emu (with youth), Yellow and White-plumed Honeyeaters, Blue Bonnet,
Mulga Parrot, Cockatiel, Apostlebird, Little Eagle, Black Kite, Rufous
Whistler... usual western stuff really.

After playing the taped call of a Shy Heathwren, one called back on
Round Hill, but as it was dusk, I didn't see it.

Also saw... roo paws and bones in the paddocks (shooters?), Shingleback
lizard (RH), Lace Monitor(RH), beautiful Green Frog on the road to
Euabalong at night, dead Echidna, Grey Kangaroos, dead fox hanging from
sign near Gum Swamp (which I got down and laid to rest in grass)...

Weather was good. Not enough time at RH really. Seeing the sun go down
to the west, whilst standing at the top of Round Hill itself, with no
one else around for miles, is ethereal and haunting. The golden slivers
of wheat field at the base of distant mountains looked great. The huge,
full yellow moon was also evocative.

Looked for Orange Chats in many saltbush areas, particulalry behind Lake
Cargelligo caravan park, which was a spot... but to no avail.

Mallee birds are elusive... birding was tough... but cool!

Thanks again to those who helped me with info.

LGJ