birding-aus

RE: ANDREW'S SNAKE

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: RE: ANDREW'S SNAKE
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:25:24 +1000
What with all this discussion about snakes on Birding-Aus, I feel
compelled to stretch the thread just a wee bit further.  A few of us
went birding to Paddy's Ranges State Park near Maryborough in central
Victoria last weekend.  It was fairly hot in the morning, and birds were
a bit scarce.  Two compensations to the low bird numbers were a large
specimen of the Large Striped Skink (Ctenotus robustus), and a real gem,
a Southern Scaly-foot (Pygopus lepidopodus) - a beautiful & infrequently
seen legless-lizard.  The birds at Paddy's Ranges were not a total loss
(Crested Bellbird, Black-chinned Honeyeater, White-winged Triller,
White-browed & Masked Woodswallow), and later in the day we were treated
to Painted Honeyeaters at Clunes just south of there.

Lawrie Conole
2/45 Virginia Street
Newtown 3220 Victoria
AUSTRALIA