birding-aus

Re: Corvid buried treasure

To: Syd Curtis <>
Subject: Re: Corvid buried treasure
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 1997 10:05:53 +1000 (EST)
Syd:

   First, I compliment you on your keen observations.  I hope
you have time to continue watching this particular crow.  Second, there
are reports in the literature that describes the behaviour you have
witness first hand (e.g. The Food Storage Behaviour of the Northwestern
Crow by P.C. James & N.A.M. Verbeek 1983 in Behaviour; also see Recovery
of Cached Food by Torresian Crow by Andrew Ley, Australian Bird Watcher
in which other Australian reference are given). Currently, I am collecting
references on caching behaviour in birds for an upcoming article in the
Interpretive Birding Bulletin. If you are interested I'll let you know
when it gets written.
  In general, many corvid species will cache food including crows,
butcherbirds, nutcrackers, rooks, etc.  Also many small passerines will
also store food.  However, in your case, I am not sure why the crow would
store plastic items which can't be mistaken for food, or could they?
It would be nice to find out if the individual in question was a juvenile.
If so, the behaviour you observed could have been a form of "practicing"
an interesting possibility.

Cheers, Jim

e-mail