birding-aus

Re: "Gooney birds"

To: (Birding Aus)
Subject: Re: "Gooney birds"
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 11:22:02 +1000 (EST)
> The posting about "storm birds" reminded me of questions I was once asked
> about the origin of the term "gooney bird".  I seem to recall it being used
> to describe an aeroplane (? during WW II, ? the DC3, ? a seaplane), while
> also referring to a bird (? Booby, ? Albatross).
> Can anyone shed any light on either of these uses of the term?

I think the original "Gooney Bird" is the Laysan Albatross (aka "White Gooney")
but the term "Gooney" is also applied to the Black-footed Albatross ("Black
Gooney") and Short-tailed Albatross ("Golden Gooney".)  I thought it referred
to the Brown(?) Booby, but haven't found any references to back this idea up.

The Douglas DC-3 "Dakota" (in particular the military C-47/R4D "Skytrain"
versions) are affectionately known as "Gooney Birds" because like the
Albatrosses, they are clumsy on the ground but graceful in the air.
The nickname probably originated during World War II when the aircraft
operated out of Midway where the albatrosses breed.  I also found one
reference to the DC-3 being referred to as the "Pelican", probably for the
same reason.

   Paul Taylor