birding-aus

Apostlebird psychology (advice, please)

Subject: Apostlebird psychology (advice, please)
From: Anne & Roger Green <>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 1997 11:35:24 -0700
Hello all.
Is there anyone out there with a sound knowledge of the social
interaction of Apostlebird society, who can suggest the best option for
re-integrating an adult bird which has now 99% recovered from a leg
injury. The bird has been in my care since August 20th. It lives in a
small aviary with all "home comforts" except the company of its own
kind. I've avoided too much isolation-induced strss by providing 4
mirrors at strategic locations around the aviary and the bird is
definitely more relaxed when perching, feeding or drinking in front of
one of them. It is not at all tame - it will only grab a crumb of cheese
from my hand after much hestitation and retreats if I put my hand
closer. "Ordinary" food (seed etc) is not attractive enough for it to
overcome its fear of me and approach me. My question is -
Should I now try and re-introduce the bird to its family, in what is now
the middle of the breeding season, and thus risk their attacking it as a
stranger and my possibly being unable to re-capture it, or should I
prolong its isolation in captivity until after the breeding season, when
the families are once again coalescing in to combined flocks for the
winter? My own inclination is towards the latter option but I'd be
grateful for informed comment from others. Thanks in advance.
Anne

Atriplex Services:-Environmental Consultants,
Growers of Australian Native Plants,Landscapers, Bush Guides,Educators.
http://www.riverland.net.au/~atriplex