birding-aus

Re: 2 things

To: <>, <>
Subject: Re: 2 things
From: "Trevor Quested" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 18:18:15 +1000
Lorne,

The Amazon basin is vast and covers several countries.  The countries which
have field guides which may be helpful are "A Guide to the Birds of
Venezuela" by Rodolphe Meyer de Schauensee and William H Phelps, Jr. and "A
Guide to the Birds of Columbia" by Steven L Hilty and William L Brown
This will not cover all the birds you may see, but will help a lot. They
will cost you an arm and a leg, but hey, its only money. I can't think of
anyone other than Andrew Isles who would have it in Australia. Let us all
know how you go.

To see a Heathwren, go 5km south of Audley in the Royal National Park. Park
and walk along the heath for a km or so.  If you don't see them here, you
are in the correct habitat so just keep looking in similar areas till you
see it. The national park is full of them on these heath plains.  Please
let us all know how you go.

See Edwin Vella for Black-eared Cuckoos.  I saw them years ago in
Scheyville.

Trevor Quested & Annie Young
Sydney,  Australia

Phone   +61 2 9955 6266