birding-aus

mixed notes

To: Birding Australia <>
Subject: mixed notes
From: Bob Howe <>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 10:24:04 +0930 (CST)
Hello friends:

        I'm a visiting ornithologist from the U.S. (my 4th time here) and
have been reading and enjoying the Birding-Aus notes during the past
month.  Rather than parasitizing all the information, some of which I
find quite useful, here are a few notes from recent trips by my wife and
I into the Australian bush.  During late August we visited north
Queensland for a couple of weeks.  After spending time on the Tablelands
(where we met Murray Lord, who put us on to Birding-Aus), we drove to
Rocky River (Silver Plains) seeking Iron Range endemics.  We were
using a rental car (4WD from All Car Rentals in Cairns - a Kia); they
didn't want us to go to Iron Range, but we were able to talk them into Silver
Plains, which turned out to be a good place for us.  Except for a
moderately deep river crossing on the way to Rocky River (on the Silver
Plains property) the roads were a piece of cake.  This might be a
good option for Cairns visitors who must hire a vehicle.  We had
great views of Palm Cockatoos, Red-cheeked Parrots, Frilled
Monarchs, etc. at Rocky River.  A single Eclectus Parrot flew
over, but another group had seen them for half an hour near the
Palm Cockatoo locality (in eucalypts, not rain forest).  We were
disappointed at missing the Magnificant Riflebird and Manacoude,
but on the way back we saw both (+ fruit doves) at the Massey
River crossing (the deep one mentioned earlier).  I realize that
Rocky River is becoming a familiar place to Australian birders -
we found it to be wonderful and the only way that we could have
seen these birds under the circumstances.
        Currently we're here at University of Adelaide's Roseworthy
Campus, working with Hugh Possingham and students.  We'll be
here until April 1998, and will take as many opportunities as
possible to get out into the bush.  Last week we returned from
a very brief (8 day) trip across the Nullarbor to Cape LeGrand
and Fitzgerald River National Parks in WA.  While our
objective was mainly wildflowers, we had some bird experiences
that might be worth noting.  We visited Frank Hann NP east of
Lake King and saw Mallee Fowl walking on the road.  Rufous
Treecreeper also was easy in the woodlands within the park.
This place is a bit out of the way, but interesting nonetheless.
Along the main road just east of Norseman we had great looks
(and photos, we hope) of a Black Falcon.  The locality appears to be near a
rather isolated "spot" in Simpson and Day's distribution map
for this species.  This sighting was very unexpected for us.
Finally, the beach at Eucla along the Nullarbor Highway is a
wonderful place, well worth a check.  Emus (with young) wander
amongst the sand dunes here.  A track extends along the edge
of the dunes into Eucla National Park.  We saw White-fronted,
Crimson, and Orange Chats, in addition to our first
White-fronted Honeyeater.  Travelers across the Nullarbor
ought to check this place if time permits.
        I guess this message is long enough already.  Thanks to the
Birding-aus folks for all the interesting stuff.  I'll try to
contribute more later.  We're looking to go on a pelagic trip
sometime.  Our 1983 Subaru has been reliable so far; we are
thinking about heading to Victoria in November and will look
into the possibilities.  Any advice would be welcome.
Cheers.   Bob Howe.