birding-aus

Re: Thornbill Gymnastics

To: michael <>
Subject: Re: Thornbill Gymnastics
From: WM James Davis <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 07:06:29 +1000 (EST)
Michael:
  I would like to read her article.  I am not sure what hanging
upside-down would accomplish for most birds other than to reach food, etc.
There is a possibility that some species hang upside-down while performing
distraction displays, but I doubt if very many species do it for this
purpose although I have no idea ... distraction displays will be a topic
for an upcoming article in the IB Bulletin.
   Given that thornbills are small birds and build dome nests above the
ground I would guess that climbing snakes are the principle, or at least
commonan, predators. If so, any efforts by birds to distract such a
predator would be focused near the nest. Since distraction displays are
intented/designed to catch the attention of the predator the performer is
likley to do all sorts of gymnastics including hanging upside-down.  I
would be interested in learning where, when and what else the birds do
when they hang upside-down.  Do they position themselves in front of the
preedator?  Do they mould their bodies to resemble a more favorite prey of
the predator (not unlike the rodent-run of fairy-wrens)?  I would guess
that thornbills use different tactics to distract different types of
predators including mobbing etc.

What do you think? Thanks for the lead to Slater's article.

Cheers, Jim