birding-aus

Asian Fires

To: "'ozbird'" <>
Subject: Asian Fires
From: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 1997 06:57:47 +1000 (EST)
Dear Folks

As the Haze in Malysia got worse, Dr Marhatier government decided to hand
over 1,7 million ha forest in Sabah to logging operators and plantation
estate folks. I was too optimistic about the 6 th extinction in Asia, as I
predicted that 1000 birds will be extinct by year 2010. I expect total
extinction of the entire lowland Indo Malay avifouna in the near future. It
is governmment policy to whipe out all forest as soon as possible and the
drought is a great opportunity. There is absolutly no hope. Rainfall may
already declined 50% in the last 25 years. THe fires contribute with up 10%
of the world greenhouse emissions and consequently ther is a positive
feedback into the drought situation.

Travelling may already be to late to this region.

We are living in totally mad times

Niels Dreyer