birding-aus

from your antipodes

Subject: from your antipodes
From: Wim Vader <>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 12:12:16 +0100
        Another snapshot from the high north. I have had a few positive
reactions,
so will continue to send these for the time being.

                                                Wim Vader

                A TRANSECT THROUGH TROMS COUNTY

This last weekend I had a visitor from England. Suzanne is a birder, so we
combined sightseeing with birdwatching. On Sunday we drove out to the outer
coast (ca 70km from here), and on Monday we made a loop-drive towards the
inner parts of Troms fylke (=province), a trip of ca 300km.
September has been uncommonly mild this year. After 2 days of sleet and
snow 2 weeks ago temperatures veered back up to 8-11*C, and even on the
hill-sides around much of the snow disappeared again; we also had large
amounts of rain, and usually low-lying clouds obscuring most of the scenery.

By a stroke of great good luck Monday was a glorious sunny, though hazy day
(A bright halo round the sun for most of the day), and we probably hit the
peak of the autumn colours. The birches glowed in all shades of yellow and
brown, and the rowans were often as red as red can be; in the inland the
contrasts of these deciduous trees with the dark green of the pines made
for a wonderful checkered tapestry on all the hillsides. Also the ground
vegetation glowed in all shades of fall colours, with the "grouse berries"
Arctostaphylos alpina the deepest red. On such days it is an exquisite
pleasure to be able to show off the countryside that I`ve come to love so
much since moving here 24 years ago.

"Not many birds", Suzanne said after a while, and it is true enough: the
first thing one notes is the paucity of birds, both in actual numbers and
in diversity. Most of the song-birds have already left, although we came
across some laggards here and there, most notably small flocks of
Fieldfares (Compared to the thousands everywhere just 2 weeks ago). On the
shore there were no longer any Oystercatchers, Curlews or Redshanks, and
the Common Gulls had congregated in some large flocks of many hundreds, but
were conspicuously absent most places. The only shorebirds seen were small
flocks of Purple Sandpipers (They will stay all winter) and here and there
a few Lapwings (They will also leave soon). More Mallards in the intertidal
already than in summer, but also still several on the freshwater lakes.

On the large Rostadvannet lake in the inland there still were 6 Arctic
Loons, no doubt the local breeders and their young, but they were silent,
and will probably soon leave: diver migration has picked up along the
Norwegian west coast these last weeks.(We looked in vain for the first of
the wintering Yellow-billed Loons). We also still found a few pairs of
Horned grebes on the nesting lakes. The most common ducks on the lakes were
small groups of Red-breasted Mergansers; many of those winter locally, but
at sea. We also saw "the last" Tufted Ducks, Goldeneyes, and Teals, and at
sea the first flocks of Common Scoters. On the coast the local Greylag
Geese (with a single Barnacle Goose) did not mingle with the migrating
Pinkfooted Geese, that kept in samall flocks of their own.

We had 3 close-by White-tailed Sea Eagles during these 2 days. Very
satisfying, as they have a tendency to hide on the days that you have
visitors. There were also still a few Rough-legged Buzzards around (We had
lemmings in the inland, so a very good breeding season), and Suzanne spied
at least 2 Merlins, also soon gone.

the autumn hunting season has started for full, so the only Willow Grouse
we found, were hanging under porches; I surprised a single Blackcock along
the road in the inland. Songbirds (except the ubiquitous crows and magpies)
were thin on the ground, and we just found some late stragglers of many
common summering species, plus tits, Greenfinches and Bullfinches, that
will be with us all winter.

I`ll give a species list for once. It may give an idea of the common birds
aroun here at this season. (Our hard-core birders found no less than 5
Yellow-browed Warblers in Troms this self-same weekend, so less sightseeing
and driving, and more concentrated birding, would probably  have lengthened
this list appreciably)

Black-throated Diver ((Arctic Loon)             Gavia arctica
Horned (Slavonian) Grebe                                Podiceps auritus
Cormorant                                               Phalacrocorax carbo
?Shag                                                   Ph. aristotelis
Pink-footed Goose                                       Anser brachyrhynchos
Greylag Goose                                           A. anser
Barnacle Goose                                  Branta leucopsis
Mallard                                         Anas platyrhynchos
Teal                                                    A. crecca
Tufted Duck                                             Aythya  fuligula
Common Eider                                            Somateria mollissima
Common Scoter                                           Melanitta nigra
Goldeneye                                               Bucephala clangula
Red-breasted Merganser                          Mergus serrator

Rough-legged Buzzard                                    Buteo lagopus
White-tailed eagle                                      Haliaeetus albicilla
Merlin                                                  Falco columbarius
Willow Grouse                                           Lagopus lagopus
Black Grouse                                            Tetrao tetrix
Lapwing                                         Vanellus vanellus
Purple Sandpiper                                        Calidris maritima
Common Gull                                             Larus canus
Kittiwake                                               Rissa tridactyla
Herring Gull                                            Larus argentatus
Great Black-backed Gull                         L. marinus
Lesser Black-backed Gull                                L.f.fuscus (1 late bird)
Arctic tern                                             Sterna paradisaea
                                                (very few left)
Feral Pigeon                                            Columba livia

Meadow Pipit                                            Anthus pratensis
Pied Wagtail                                            Motacilla alba (1)
Dunnock                                         Prunella modularis (1)
Fieldfare                                               Turdus pilaris
Redwing                                         T. iliacus
Willow Tit                                              Parus montanus
Great Tit                                               P. major
Starling                                                Sturnus vulgaris
Magpie                                                  Pica pica
Raven                                                   Corvus corax
Hooded Crow                                             C. corone cornix
House Sparrow                                           Passer domesticus
Brambling                                               Fringilla montifringilla
Greenfinch                                              Carduelis chloris
Bullfinch                                               Pyrrhula pyrrhula
Redpoll                                         Carduelis flammea
?Twite                                                  C. flavirostris

As you see, a pretty basic crop of birds, and even many of these will leave
us for the winter. But the scenery was spectacular, the colours fantastic,
and the company most pleasant. So all in all, two good days of
birding-sightseeing!

                                                Wim Vader, Tromsoe Museum
                                                9037 Tromsoe, Norway