birding-aus

Thornbill Gymnastics

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Thornbill Gymnastics
From: "Osborn, Paul PR" <>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:08:40 +1000
Some months ago I promised to try to photograph a Yellow-rumped
Thornbill swinging upside down. Yesterday I observed one exhibiting this
behaviour and will try to get some shots next weekend. This is the first
time I have seen them doing it this season, I have regularly observed
the behaviour in previous years. The  birds appear to be becoming more
used to the presence of my wife and I and so don't bother with the
distraction display. Yesterday's event took place when our local male
Magpie landed near their nest tree and the display took place on a small
branch near the Magpie and was obviously directed at him. It ceased when
the Magpie flew off.
Paul Osborn
Research Scientist
BHP Research - Newcastle Labs