birding-aus

anthropocentrism

Subject: anthropocentrism
From: (John Leonard)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 11:26:24 +1000 (EST)
Yesterday I was amusing myself by looking through a list of all the mammal
orders and families. I was ticking off the families of which I had seen
wild, non-introduced members and was finding that compared to the world
bird-families (76 out of 146) I had not seen many at all (28 out of 132).

My pen was poised over primates, 'No,' I decided, 'I haven't seen any
primates in the wild'!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dr John Leonard
PO Box 243, Woden,
ACT 2606, AUSTRALIA

'... after only twenty years in existence much of the
environmental movement has taken on the form of just
another corporation or interest group. Their interest may
be disinterest, but their methods are one with the rational
élites and are therefore limited to the details of corporate life.
[They] ... are attempting to justify restraint and a common-
sense approach to self-respect with the use of intellectual
tools designed to eliminate both.' John Ralston Saul

http://spirit.net.au/~jleonard