birding-aus

RE: ultrasonic Nightjars

To: "" <>
Subject: RE: ultrasonic Nightjars
From: "Conole, Lawrie" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1997 11:33:38 +1000
> been picked up). He also mentioned that the hypothesis that what is
> being
> recorded is the harmonics of audible calls.

The Anabat detector usually only picks up the dominant harmonic, & I
suspect that in birds this would be the audible one??  .. but it remains
a possibility.

> We also discussed why Nightjars would need ultrasonic calls. Oilbirds
> (from
> S. America, nightjar relatives) and our own White-rumped SWift use
> them, but
> they nest in pitch-dark caves and need echo-location to find their
> nests.

I don't know about Oilbirds, but I believe swiftlets use audible
echolocation, not ultrasound.  Some cave-roosting fruit-bats (Rousettus)
also use audible echolocation (basically tongue clicking), in contrast
to the sophisticated ultrasonic echolocation of  microbats.  Sound
doesn't have to be ultrasonic to be useful for echolocation.

> I guess sonagrams are required before anything else.

Indeed.  I'm keen to see an "Anagraph" of this sound, & Glen tells me
that a tape of the call is headed my way.  I'll report back to the group
in due course.

Lawrie Conole
Geelong, Victoria, Australia