birding-aus

Trip Report - Wonthaggi

Subject: Trip Report - Wonthaggi
From: (Scott Chandry)
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 18:25:25 +0000
Greetings,

Mark Bennett and I travelled to the coastal heathlands south-east of
Melbourne.  The first stop at Kilcunda to search for chestnut-rumped
heathwrens was not too productive but did result in huge numbers of striated
calamanthus.  Later in the day on the beach we found a penguin and a fairy
prion sleeping very soundly or possibly dead (unfortunately no tick for dead
birds).

At Wonthaggi heath we had a great look at a beautiful firetail near the trail
head.  The white-naped HE and grey shrikethrush were almost deafening here.
Other somewhat interesting birds here were Horsefield's bronze-cuckoo, both
pardalotes, lots of dusky woodswallows.

The next stop was the heathland at the mouth of the Powlett River in search
of Latham's snipe.  After a fair bit of walking finally flushed out a single
bird.  The real highlight here was the number of cuckoos.   We observed 4 Fan-
tailed cuckoos, 2 Horsefield's bronze-cuckoos, and 1 Pallid cuckoo.  We also
observed some odd behaviour with a royal spoonbill and great egret acting
like they were mates.  They stood very close together, flew together and
landed within about 3 feet of one another. Maybe the egret was waiting for
the spoonbill to stir up something tasty for it.   Finally, a flock of yellow-
tailed black cockatoos graced us with its presence.

Scott

P. Scott Chandry

or