birding-aus

Re: Substitutes for exotic plants

To: Michael <>
Subject: Re: Substitutes for exotic plants
From: Michael Hines <>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 10:59:29 +1000 (GMT+1000)
            A display at the EXPO we had in
Brisbane some years ago featured some exhibits from the Mitchell Library
portraying early days in Port Jackson. One was a painting of the Silvereye
with the comment that it was a rare bird . Tell that to a viticulturist.
           CSIRO published a two volume authoritative work on the Foods of
Australian birds. Perhaps one of our subscribers will be able to flesh
out the reference.
           The dove interference you refer to I would suspect is not
really related to the exotic plant issue but to the association with people
- they feed on human food scraps and seem to be happy in suburbia. The
crested pigeon appears to be increasing in middle and outer Brisbane
suburbia due, I think, to the change in ground flora brought about by
rotary slashing of road verges and parkland.
            TWS-List is a list run by The Wildlife Society which has 9000
members in 70 countries.
             Mike.