birding-aus

Re: Substitutes for exotic plants

To: michael <>
Subject: Re: Substitutes for exotic plants
From: Michael Hines <>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 11:59:58 +1000 (GMT+1000)
      Thank you Michael for introducing the topic. The TWS- List would
probably be a better venue but it is mostly U.S.A. and we do not seem to
have an Australian equivalent.
      The spread of the exotics has often been done by birds, birds which
as a species were established in the country before the exotic plant.
   The Brisbane City Council has a very good poster " BUSHLAND WEEDS"
showing 29 weeds of which 10 are spread by birds, if I have added
correctly.
        The poster shows how to eradicate the offending plants, in many
cases possible only by digging out by hand.    Mike Hines