birding-aus

Extirpation of Collared Doves

To: "" <>
Subject: Extirpation of Collared Doves
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 1997 06:35:57 +1000
G'day All,
There is something rather 'deja-vu' about all this Collared Dove stuff,
several years ago when I was resident on an international compound in
Saudi Arabia, I was approached by some angry mothers who demanded I did
something about the "German guy with the gun" who was popping off
Collared and Laughing Doves off in his garden (something very common
over the compound wall in the Saudi village!)
One day a rather sad Collared Dove with suspected lead-poisoning landed
at the feet of the one of the children and as I was a well-known
'birdwatcher' was forced to bring it to the Kamp Administrator
(Kommandant) notice, who replied "there are too many and they spread
disease, anyway"
One would imagine that the compound is now either knee-deep in Collared
and Laughing Doves or that the newly-arrived Namaqua Doves have moved in
on the act. (not to mention the Ring-necked Parakeets!)
Regards,
Tom (Gunless Pom)