birding-aus

Finches cont.

Subject: Finches cont.
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 12:16:11 +1000 (EST)
By the way, I noticed that Pizzey and Knight gives the range of the long
tail finch to around Mt Isa, NW Queensland.  This is a slight improvement
on the early field guides which give it as 'east to about Mt Isa'.

For those who haven't seen it, or for those who want it on their
Queensland list, the two places I have seen it are at Lawn NP, 500 km NW
of Mt Isa, and at Butcher's Creek on the Cloncurry- Normanton Road (aka
the MatildaHighway) about 5 kms north of Cloncurry and 110 km east of Mt Isa.

Further east again, on the Gulf Development Road is Cumberland Dam - a
well known birding spot 22 kms west of Georgetown.  I haven't seen the
long tailed finch here, but i did get pictorella mannikin, black throated
finch, zebra finch, double barred finch and masked finch all coming down
to drink at the same waterhole.

If you continue west on the Gulf Dev Road from Cumberland Dam you
will reach the Gilbert River.  Turn immediately left and follow
the track 15kms to Langlo Lakes (aka Langlo Vale) Station.  This is
a working cattle property which has recently opened up to birders.
Miranda and Chris Donahue have established a small camping
area with toilet/shower facilities in a donger near a billabong.
i don't know what they charge for camping; best contact Sandy Whyte
at  for details.  Anyway, I am keeping an eye
on 'Langlo' as it's likely that the gouldian finch turns up there, as
it has been seen at Cumberland dam.  But not by me, and I've been out
there a few times now.

Good birding