birding-aus

threatened vs endangered etc

Subject: threatened vs endangered etc
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 1997 11:58:36 +1000 (EST)
Dear all,

I sent the following message to Marjorie Wisby in response to her query,
then thought that it may be of some interest to others out there.

"Just a quick response for now - I'm expecting visitors any minute!
'Threatened' is not usually precisely defined; we just use it in the
dictionary sense as far I'm aware for anywhere in Australia. 'Endangered' on
the other hand is defined for various 'Endangered Species' type legislations
in Oz and o/s. The ACT legislation uses (for a species)
"i) its likely extinction unless the circumstances and factors threatening
its abundance, survival or evolution cease; or
ii) the reduction of its numbers or habitats to such a level that the
species is in immediate danger of extinction."

Re Stone Curlews; while they are still doing very well in parts of the
tropics, throughout most of their range in the south-east (except for
Kangaroo Island) they are very much endangered, and indeed extinct in many
former haunts.

Hope this is of some help - I'd be happy to pursue it if you're interested.
One of my roles here is as a community member of the ACT Flora and Fauna
Committee, which administers the ACT Endangered Species legislation."

Best wishes

Ian
---
Ian Fraser, Canberra