birding-aus

Re: suburban owls!

Subject: Re: suburban owls!
From: Stewart Ford <>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 1997 22:34:16 +0800
Hi there Rob,

A couple of months ago on the 22 of February I had a similar experience in
one of the colleges at the University of Western Australia (Nedlands). It
was dark, and there was a Barn Owl standing on the ground outside one of
the open doorways leading to a central quadrangle. I couldn't see a purpose
for it either; it was just standing there in the light of the doorway (and
it didn't fly away immediately either)!

I was pretty spooked by it - quite amazed as well!

Cheerio!

Stewart

>Hi All!
>
>Yesterday (27th July), while in our port city of Fremantle, here in Western
>Australia, I saw a large Barn Owl on the roof of a block of flats opposite
>the main Esplanade area on Marine Terrace Fremantle. It was about 4 pm, and
>the owl sat on the roof for approximately 5 minutes, observing the area,
>before dissappearing behind the flats.
>
>I was quite amazed by this, due to the fact that it was in a busy suburban
>area, in broad daylight. Is this unusual, and have other people had similar
>sightings?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Rob.

Stewart S Ford
First Year Biological Sciences               (618) 9273 3252
University of Western Australia           fax: c/o (618) 9388 1224
http://www.student.uwa.edu.au/~ssford/