birding-aus

Re: Point Lillias Decision

To: Tony Archer <>
Subject: Re: Point Lillias Decision
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 1997 02:24:00 +1000 (EST)
Hi Tony (and others)

Thanks for your kind words.  I'm afraid that I can take absolutely NO
credit for ANY part of the Point Lillias decision.  I'm not sure if anyone
on this list (or anyone at all, for that matter!) understands why the
State Government did an about-face on the issue.

The Minister for Planning (who someone recently dubbed Minister for
Development at All Costs!) originally canned the Environmental Effects
Statement - said it would not be allowed to stand in the way of such a
'crucial' development. Now he says that the project can't proceed because
of the EES.  One suspects a hidden agenda (really?!!). The chemical
companies themselves were getting cold feet as it was going to cost them
way too much in the long run.  Yippee.

Whatever the reasons, we have to be thankful.  Now there is much pressure
to move the current facility (which is in inner Melbourne) - but where?
It may be an easier decision in ten years' time, when some of the
chemicals destined originally for Pt Lillias will no longer be in
production because of international agreements.

Can anyone shed any light on these issues?

Russell Woodford
Geelong