birding-aus

Mimicing magpies

Subject: Mimicing magpies
From: "Steve Clark" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 1997 11:16:01 +1100
G'day all

I was working in my garden on the weekend and became aware of a lone
magpie quietly mimicing nearby.  It was a subsong and very quiet.  I
could only makeout a couple of the species involved.  Yellow-tailed
Black-Cockatoo was quite clear, as was a Golden Whistler.  There was
probably also Crimson Rosella in there as well although they rarely
occur in this part of town.

I've never hear a magpie mimicing before and wasn't aware they did.
However Pizzey and the Readers Digest guides both briefly mention it.

Comments from others would be appreciated.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Victoria