birding-aus

Pumicestone passage BOP survey

Subject: Pumicestone passage BOP survey
From: Peter Woodall <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 10:07:30 +1000
On Sunday, 25 May 1997, we conducted a monthly bird-of-prey
survey of Pumicestone Passage.

This lies between Bribie Island and the mainland, about 50 km
north of Brisbane, Queensland and extends for over 30 km from
Sylvan beach at the southern end of Bribie Island to Caloundra
in the north.  In the middle there are some very shallow patches,
so the count has to be done at high tide.  Even then my little
boat "Tegwane" touches bottom at times.

Departed 1055, returned 1510, after lunch at Mission Point.
Observers: Ian MacRae, Lois MacRae, Helen Horton, Peter Woodall
Weather was excellent, clear skies, warm, slight breeze,
This survey is funded by COASTCARE.

Species seen:
        Whistling       Brahminy     Osprey     White-bellied   Total
        Kite            Kite                    Sea-eagle
NORTH   18              8               13      3               43
SOUTH   20              10              8       1               40

[totals include some unidentified BOPs]

Total numbers similar to previous counts, but more ospreys than
normal.
Other birds - Black Swan, Ea Curlew, Bar-t Godwit, Black-w Stilt, Pied
Oystercatchers, Aus Pelican, etc.
Also seen: Bottle-nose Dolphins (c.6), Dingo (1).

These surveys are confirming my impressions of very high densities of
BOP in the passage.  Can anyone match them??

Peter
Dr Peter Woodall                          email =
Division of Pathobiology
School of Veterinary Science              Phone = +61 7 3365 2300
The University of Queensland              Fax   = +61 7 3365 1355
Brisbane, Qld, Australia 4072          WWW  = http://www.uq.edu.au/~anpwooda
"hamba phezulu" (= "go higher" in isiZulu)