birding-aus

Re: Hong Kong

To: Niels Poul Dreyer <>
Subject: Re: Hong Kong
From: (Dr Richard Nowotny)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:38:35 -1000
Niels
Here goes:
Field Guide:  "Birds of Hong Kong and South China" by Clive Viney, Karen
Phillipps and Lam Chiu Ying (6th edition, fully revised, May 1994, price
HK$164).  Excellent, with some quite good bird-finding info included.
Readily available in Hong Kong - well it was when I was there, eg from the
bookstore at the Kowloon end of the Star Ferry.  If you want to order it in
advance from Hong Kong get back to me for the address for where to write.
Where to find the birds:  "Birding Hong Kong - a comprehensive guide to the
birding sites" by David Diskin, July 1994.  A ring-bound "home production"
of great detail in true UK birdwatcher style.  I bought this from Richard
Lewthwaite (see below).
The tour company:  Kingfisher Tours, Richard Lewthwaite, 2 Villa Paloma,
Shuen Wan, Tai Po, New Territories, Hong Kong (Tel/Fax: 852-665.8190).
Expensive (about $200 per day) but highly recommended.
The articles:  "Hong Kong - Shorebird Shangri-La" by Martin Reid, a two-part
article in the American Birding Association's magazine "Birding" of Dec91
and Feb92.  Not just about shorebirds and great reading.
I could provide photocopies of some bits and pieces which could be of
use/interest if you wished and if you could send me an address.
Hong Kong is terrific birding in a most unlikely and exciting setting - I'm
sure you'll enjoy your visit!
Regards
Richard.