birding-aus

Red-browed Firetail display

Subject: Red-browed Firetail display
From: (Dr Richard Nowotny)
Date: Mon, 26 May 1997 00:38:58 -1000
At Paluma (in the Paluma Range, north of Townsville) yesterday I saw a
Red-browed Firetail with a large feather (slightly longer than the bird
itself) in its bill.  It flew to a small horizontal branch about 3 metres
from the ground where it proceeded to bounce up and down and swing the
feather from side to side for a good 2 minutes or so before dropping the
feather and flying off.  No other Firetail was visible during this rather
remarkable performance (it bore some similarities to the displays of some of
the birds of paradise recorded on film by David Attenborough in New Guinea).
Have those of you more closely acqainted with RBF's than I seen this or
similar behaviour?  Commonly?
Regards
Richard Nowotny.